The COVID-19 pandemic has hit low-income families the hardest, and we are getting more requests for assistance than ever. Every month, GBM is able to financially assist 16 families with their utility bills, medications and housing costs. Financial assistance means keeping the power on for seniors who rely on home medical equipment, children attending school virtually, and many others. Utility assistance is also critically important for our clients in public housing; they are susceptible to eviction if they fall behind on any utility payments.
Our work on utility assistance doesn’t stop at paying bills. GBM has advocated for just utility policies in Alabama for over 40 years, and our direct engagement with clients keeps us connected in fighting utility shut-offs and pursuing fair billing practices.
- Those applying for assistance must call (205) 716-2168 at 9:00am on the first Wednesday of the month, except July, December and January. Please note: the phone line will not be available until 9:00. Only the first 16 people will receive a return call.
- Please leave the required information necessary for a call back.
- Appointments are made only on our appointment line above and there are no guarantees.
- Due to limited resources, only 16 calls will be accepted per month.
- People who receive financial assistance must wait a full year before reapplying.
- Income cannot exceed $37,010 per year.